Texas SWAT team brutalizes innocent man in no-knock wellness check, concocts charges

Chad Chadwick sits in handcuffs after being assaulted by a SWAT team while bathing in his apartment. (Image: FOX 26 Houston)
Chad Chadwick sits in handcuffs after being assaulted by a SWAT team while bathing in his apartment. (Image: FOX 26 Houston)
Chad Chadwick sits in handcuffs after being assaulted by a SWAT team while bathing in his apartment. (Image: FOX 26 Houston)

FORT BEND COUNTY, TX — An innocent man was ripped from his bathtub in a surprise no-knock raid, then suffered an onslaught of beatings, electric shocks, concussion grenades, and rubber bullets.  The man spent 3 years and his entire life savings attempting to vindicate himself from the false charges and malicious prosecution which followed.

Chad Chadwick. (Image: FOX 26 Houston)
Chad Chadwick. (Image: FOX 26 Houston)

Chad Chadwick is the man who fell victim to the horrific series of events, which began on the night of September 27, 2011.  Mr. Chadwick was home alone that evening and feeling distraught.  A concerned friend eventually phoned the police to check on Mr. Chadwick’s emotional well-being.  Mr. Chadwick had consumed some alcohol and had fallen asleep in the bathtub in his apartment.

Mr. Chadwick had not threatened himself or anyone else, and had a spotless criminal record.  Nonetheless, police responded to the concerned friend by sending a paramilitary, multi-jurisdictional SWAT team to conduct a no-knock raid on the man’s apartment.  According to Mr. Chadwick, police lied in order to obtain the warrant.

“They told a judge I had hostages. They lied to a judge and told him I had hostages in my apartment and they needed to enter,” Mr. Chadwick explained to MyFoxHouston.


The SWAT team arrived in short order and broke down the apartment door without identifying themselves, then quickly made their way to the bathroom where the resident was bathing.  Their first maneuver was to lob a concussion grenade into the bathroom, causing extensive damage to the furnishings and disorienting Mr. Chadwick.

“While I had my hands up naked in the shower they shot me with a 40 [caliber] non-lethal round,” he recalled.

A second concussion grenade detonated, and SWAT officers swarmed in and attacked Mr. Chadwick.

“I turned away, the explosion went off, I opened my eyes the lights are out and here comes a shield with four or five guys behind it. They pinned me against the wall and proceeded to beat the crap out of me,” he said.

FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston Mr. Chadwick went on to explain the extent of his injuries.

The police “claimed [Chadwick] drew down with a shampoo bottle” and proceeded to respond with heightened levels of force.  Mr. Chadwick was accosted and shot in the back of the head with a taser.

“They grabbed me by my one hand that was out of the shower and grabbed me by my testicles slammed me on my face on the floor and proceeded to beat me more,” Mr. Chadwick told FOX 26.

By the end of the ordeal Mr. Chadwick had suffered a broken nose, bruised ribs, multiple lacerations and bruises, a taser barb in the back of his skull, and permanent hearing loss.  He was hauled off to the Fort Bend County Jail, where he was left in an isolation cell for 2 days.


Rather than admitting a mistake had taken place, police began to file charges against the man in an apparent effort to cover up the incompetence and justify the brutality.  First, Mr. Chadwick was charged with two felony counts of assaulting police officers.  But a grand-jury found no basis for the charges and declined to indict him.

When that didn’t work, the prosecution filed new charges; this time for misdemeanor resisting arrest.  Those charges were dropped as well.

Then a third round of charges were issued.  In total, the prosecution — led by Ft. Bend County District Attorney John Healy — filed six criminal charges against Mr. Chadwick and eventually put him on trial for “interfering with police.”  After more than three years fighting the corrupt system, Mr. Chadwick was cleared by a jury. He was found not guilty of interfering with police on the night he was attacked in his bathroom.

FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston

“They came in did what they did, figured out that they messed up and now they are doing everything they can to cover it up. They treated a normal American citizen like an animal. It’s not right,”  Mr. Chadwick said in an interview with FOX 26. 

“They tried to make me a convict. It broke me financially, bankrupted me. I used my life savings, not to mention, I lost my kids,” said Mr. Chadwick.

According to FOX 26, Ft. Bend County District Attorney John Healy declined to comment on camera, but did say he stands by his decision to prosecute Chadwick, despite the multiple no-bills and not guilty verdict. Asked how much the case cost taxpayers, Healy said “I wasn’t keeping a tally.”

The SWAT team raided Mr. Chadwick’s apartment was comprised of officers from Missouri City, Sugar Land, Stafford, and the Ft. Bend County Sheriff’s Department. To date, no officer has faced any disciplinary action or criminal charges.

“These cops are out of control. They are ruining good people’s lives. I am a good man. I have done everything I can to show that, as a father, as a citizen, as a worker,” said Mr. Chadwick to FOX 26.

Mr. Chadwick is now pursuing a civil suit against the police agencies involved.

His ordeal goes to show that even an innocent person minding his own business in his home can have his life destroyed without warning by agents of the police state.



Site Staff
About Site Staff 477 Articles
Writer, editor, political activist and liberty advocate. PSUSA has been exposing the police state since 2010 and never runs out of material.